Falcons Today

Press on! for Parkland

Back to Article
Back to Article

Press on! for Parkland

Cat Diaz (left) - Classical Academy High School

"I just thought it thought it was really powerful to like remember them" - Cat Diaz

On Feb. 14, a former student armed with a semi-automatic rifle came to Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School (MSDHS) and shot and killed 17 students and staff members. This caused Parkland students to rally and create the Never Again MSD, an American student-led gun control organization. We interviewed students attending the JEA/NSPA High School Journalism Convention in San Francisco asking them questions regarding how the Never Again movement has them, their school, and their community. Growing up in a smaller city, where crimes like this are only things you read about in the paper, it’s hard to grasp something as horrific as a school shooting, much less one carried out by one of their former peers.

The heartbreak that happened at MSD is great reminder to hug your mom before you go to school, or tell your grandmother how beautiful she looks every time you see her. We heard a beautiful story today from a young woman, Cat Diaz. She was from Classical Academy High School, and at her school they had a remembrance service for the lives lost on that cold day in Florida. Diaz told us of how they would tell story of the life of one of the victims and then proceed to release a balloon into the air.

Abel Griswold – Coronado High School

Staff members and administration have set precautions to help kids feel more safe both inside and outside of school. Abel Griswold, student at Coronado High School, told us about the regulations their school provided. Griswold said that even though he lives in the heart of Texas, the MSD Never Again movement has touched him and his peers. At his high school, they have instituted rules for students to abide by. “Officers at our school have increased security… as well as we have new rules in our school, we’re not allowed to wear backpacks,” said Griswold.

#neveragain walk out at Hanford High School

Regardless of your political position on the subject, you can not deny the overwhelming support for the MSD Never Again movement. Thousands of schools across the country have been walking out and showing their support for the lives lost in Parkland.

The Student News Site of Hanford High School
Press on! for Parkland